Sunday, June 24, 2007

Back with a vengeance











Well, I was cooking away this weekend - very traditional fair and some wicked southern bbq.

First up was baby potatoes with dill, onion and cream. I really just winged the recipe. In a past life I would have tried to use skim milk or evaporated 2% milk (to save calories/fat) - but I think that doing so really just wrecked some great baby potatoes. So real cream it was. Amazingly good.

Next up was Alabama BBQ chicken from Steven Raichlen's recipe book, BBQ USA. It was chicken pieces smoked over hickory chips for about an hour and a half and served with a WHITE BBQ sauce made from mayonnaise, horseradish and cider vinegar. Strange concoction but strangely good. A definite make again.....

Finally, we had - well we actually did not try it until the next day - but I did make it that same night - a rhubarb sour cream pie. I felt very southern when I was putting the streusel topping on but I did cheat and use a pre-made pie crust.

Overall a great night for food. I left Sandy with the scones and cucumber salad - guess I should have made those - but maybe the cucumbers for tomorrow night?

2 comments:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Dayum! Your post made me salivate :-) Last night I did the cuc salad. I think I will post it up with the recipe b/c it is such a good summer side. What can I try for this weekend? I think we should tackle the desserts. It's making me antsy that there are so many of them...maybe we should whittle down?

Sandy Volume Haney said...

PS: I need the scones recipe!