Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hawaiian Elk Chili

So I made this recipe recently for some Ground Elk that I had in the freezer. It is an awesome little chili - kind of a sweet and . sour sort of thing. Thought it would be good with ground beef or turkey/chicken so I thought I would pass it on. I can't take credit for it though, it came from the Alberta elk association.

1 to 1.5 pounds ground elk
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper
2 cans pork and beans
1 cup ketchup
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp mustard
3 tbsp vinegar
1 can pineapple tidbits in syrup
1 tbsp chili powder
1 can kidney beans

saute onion and ground meat until browned. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and either bake in oven for 45 minutes or simmer in crockpot for 1.5-2 hours. Freezes well.

5 comments:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Elk?

Sandy Volume Haney said...

PS: How about we try French Onion Soup or Beef Stew for this weekend?

Carlyn Volume-Smith said...

French onion soup. Do you have the recipe or shall I send it to you?

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Please send to me...

Sandy Volume Haney said...

BTW, I am jazzed you want to make the soup. I need to get onion soup bowls, so what better excuse?