Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kickin’ it old school


No better way to bring in 2010 then to feast on post-holiday leftovers. My favorite!

One thing we had quite a bit growing up was an open faced turkey or chicken sandwich served with gravy and fries. This is because almost every other weekend we had rotisserie chicken – old school style – I remember the noise of the rotisserie in the oven going round and round few a few hours many a Sunday night.

After Christmas holidays, I found myself with leftover turkey, gravy and dressing. I told husband I was going to make him and old school Volume family recipe “Open Faced Turkey Sandwich” and proceeded to describe the dish:

“Leftover turkey served cold on top of white bread with gravy. Usually we had French fries on the side, but I think I will do something different.”
“Is the bread toasted?”
“Nope.”
“Oh. Would it be better toasted?”
“Nope.”
“And I would serve it with dressing on the side, but I ate it already.” (yes, I especially love leftover stuffing! Ever had a stuffing sandwich?!?)

We only had a bit of gravy, so I made a roux and used some broth to make some more. It is best to serve this with white, texas-style (thick-sliced) bread.

Needless to say, I got a lot of Mmmm and Yummy from the husband, so he was pleasantly suprised! I did serve it with some vegetables and a side salad to help off-set the dressing starter I wolfed down.

No comments: