Monday, May 11, 2009

Better with Boursin?


Well, it was a quite Monday afternoon with weather reports of a soaring "high" of 13 tomorrow so what could be nicer on a cool day but soup? Nevermind that it is supposed to be a Spring soup but I am sure that it will warm the toes by Thursday when the weather guys are claiming we could get SNOW!

I started the recipe in a manner similar to Sandy but diverged a bit from there. I sauteed one onion in about 4-5 tbsp of butter until carmelized. Next came 4 level tbsps of flour to make the roux. I cooked this until ever so slightly browned so that the soup would not taste gummy. Then I added 3 cups of skim milk and cooked until thickened- then 3/4 cup of whipping cream. I had steamed one pound of asparagus and chopped them up (saving some tips)nd tossed them into the soup. The handy hand blender came out and I pureed the soup until relatively smooth but with a few rustic chunks. I thought it was still just a tad too thick so I put in 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the asparagus to lighten it up a bit. The piece de resistance was the addition of 1 package of Boursin cheese (the original herb flavour). Wow. Amazing. Never have I added cheese to an asparagus soup but with the Boursin, I may never go back.

1 comment: