Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hobo Bread

As I write this post, I am happily feasting on two slices of the rich-tasting Hobo Bread slathered in butter with a cuppa joe. Not quite like the dude in this picture (note the coffee can, which is supposed to be used to cook the bread): (image courtesy of the-iss.com)
MY quest to make hobo bread began last night. Since I was improvising with this recipe (ie: no coffee cans!) all I had to do was start with soaking the raisins overnight and not worry about drinking three pounds worth of coffee in advance, like Car did. The recipe ended up working well by dividing the batter between two loaf pans.
There was a certain nostalgia when prepping this recipe…a sweet, rich, "molasses-like" smell wafted from the soaking raisins that brought me back to childhood. It is such a warm, familiar smell.

Car’s note that the dough is “stiff” is an understatement – it is heavy, too, from all of the plumped raisins! Good news is that I suppose this is one recipe that could be considered “low fat” since it only uses 4 tbsp. of vegetable oil for two loaves (or three if you are using coffee cans). Overall: DELICIOUS!


3 comments:

Jo said...

I am glad to see that you tested it in loaf pans so I don't have to dig around in the neighbours recycle for coffee cans. I am going to try this!

Sandy Volume Haney said...

It's soooo good. It really has a unique flavour from the raisins. I also have a coworker who is allergic to dairy (milk, butter, etc.) among others things, so it's a good safe loaf to serve to those with allergies. BTW, it is FABULOUS with a slice of old cheddar cheese on top (after heated and buttered).

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to let the raisins soak over night for hobo bread