Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I ♥ Portland Restaurants

Husband and I went on a road trip to California this fall. On our way back up to Canada we stopped in Portland and we happily surrendered to the food mecca that it is. I had never been even though it is only a few hours away from Vancouver. It's pretty cool. Do they ever know how to eat! And drink! (their happy hours put Vancouver’s to shame)

Some highlights were:

The Original – a “dinerant” where husband ate a peanut butter and jam Monte Cristo and I had a fried bologna sandwich served with carmelized onions, mortadella and smoked gouda (drool). They also feature a burger served on a doughnut (yes, you read that correctly). Neither of us dared to do it. Intriguing, but a little gaggy. They also serve homemade pop tarts during happy hour for $1. HELLO?!? Please come to Vancouver.

Pazzo – We were skeptical because it would appear to be a popular tourist Italian joint on a main drag, but I had THE MOST terrific roasted beet insalata with cucumber with a marscapone horseradish dressing. This salad by far surpassed any salad that I have had at a restaurant. My pasta: amazing. Fabulous service. Plus, the portions were healthy.

The Saucebox – Killer happy hour where an eclectic range of asian-fusion eats could be had for only mere dollars a dish with amazing cocktails to boot.

Departure Restaurant and Lounge – Crave sushi? Crave hot people and good views? I give this an honorable mention, because we just went here for a late night snack and drinks. It is located at the top of the luxurious hotel we indulged in called the Nines.

Byways Café – A solid breakfast diner. Need I say more?

No comments: