Thursday, January 11, 2007

Roasting puts cauliflower over the top.....

OK - so in typical Carlyn fashion, I feel somewhat behind in the recipe making. So, I just made the cauliflower soup that Sandy made a few weekends back. I had made the stuff before and it is one of Jason's favorite soups - recall that he said it was the only way one should ever deign to eat "poor man's broccoli". Again, in typical Carlyn fashion, I decided that I should mix it up a bit and screw with the recipe. So, I roasted the cauliflower first in the oven (tossed it with oil, salt and pepper) and then put it in at about 350 for 30-45 minutes - just until it started to carmelize at the edges - and then I continued on with the recipe.

It turned out great. I think that I will need to do a side by side taste test before one could actually pass judgement on whether the original or the roasted versions were appreciably different (or whether the extra 45 minutes of cooking time was worth it) - but I would definitely make again. And, as with all soups, the next day it was even tastier.

1 comment:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

I had the chance to test Car's "roasted" soup and there wan't too much difference from regular. Actually, tonight for dinner we had leftover pre-frozen cauliflower soup and it was good! Am happy to know it lasts freezing. That is key when cooking a lot for the two of us!