Thursday, November 11, 2010

Not to be outdone.... but I was


In an effort to keep up with my culinary hubby I decided that I had better step up my game! But, figured I had better use up the pork chops and cabbage (I know I know) that I had in the fridge. Hence I decided to put a little spin on a traditional German-ish comfort food using the Bon Appetit cookbook as the foundation for the recipe.

I don't know if I actually surpassed Jason's recent cooking adventures, but I made a damn good meal for about $1.25 per serving.
Here it goes:
Asian Inspired Pork Chops and Cabbage
4 centre cut pork loin chops, boneless
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green onions chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
7 ounces chicken or beef stock, divided
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp chinese 5 spice powder
2 tsp cornstarch

Season pork on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in heated frying pan with oil. Saute until browned on both sides. Move the chops over to the side of the pan and toss in the green onions, ginger and garlic. Cook for a minutes until fragrant and then put in all (minus about a 1/4 cup of the broth), soy sauce, sugar and five spice powder. Cover and let simmer for a bit while you work on the cabbage.

For the cabbage:
1 tbsp veggie oil
one small cabbage (1.5 lbs-ish) sliced thinly
4 green onions chopped.
1 tbsp minced gresh ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil.

While the pork is cooking, heat oil in a new frying pan. Add the ginger and saute until fragrant - about 30 seconds. Add about half of the cabbage and cook until wilted. Then add the remainder of the cabbage and the green onions. Cook until cabbage is almost done. Toss with the sesame oil and stir fry while you are finishing the pork.

Finishing the pork and serving:
Stir the cornstarch into the remainder of the broth until smooth. Pour into the frying pan with the pork and let simmer for a minute until thickened. Place all of the cabbage into a large serving plate. The place the porkchops on top with the good sauce poured over top of everything. Serve at once.

No comments: