Monday, March 5, 2007

so there, be-atch! :)


Alright -it was a busy weekend at the Smith household in terms of cooking. I am in a desperate bid to catch up to little sis who has become a cooking machine. I think that the only thing that might be helping me out here is the fact that Sandy will be out of town and/or have visitors over the next couple of weekends!

First, Saturday night was the pineapple upside down cake - I have no picture as I made it on a whim (it wasn't even on our list of things to make yet!) but I REALLY wanted it. It turned out nice - good with ice cream. I was missing the red maraschino cherries but who really needs the carcinogenic FD&C red?

Sunday I was going to make (wait, I know this sounds familiar already) the lazy man's perogies but for some reason (likely Sandy's review) I am non-plussed about making them -PLUS they are not really LAZY as you have to cook lasagna noodles, peel potatoes and mash and cook them...so I just settled on perogies (bought, ssshh! don't tell mom) and the lima bean and sausage casserole.

Loved it - just like I remembered it. Used garlic deer sausage that I had in the freezer- turned out great. Really easy to make and an excellent complement to perogies - lazy or otherwise.






3 comments:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

I can't wait to try it! Will do that this week as we have a hankering for perogies. I think it is all this rain that is making us yearn for some comfort food. Cute snowman by the way. Dafodils are out here but they aren't getting any sun.

Carlyn Volume-Smith said...

I am making the mashed potato cheese things this weekend. maybe even the spinach.....

Sandy Volume Haney said...

The potato cakes were v. yummy! I will do the creamed spinach when we are back from vacation. I was thinking we should do mac n' cheese next...