Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ai, Popeye!

I carried on this week and did another recipe test with mum’s Creamed Spinach. I have never made this recipe that was featured a few times a year at home. A creamy blend of spinach, onions and mushrooms with a béchamel, or more specifically, a mornay sauce (made with swiss cheese). I remember when little not liking it too much (sometimes the swiss cheese taste gave me the cheese gags) but the recent recipe test shot that memory down. The flavour was a lot more subtle than I remember. Seasoned up with the right amount of salt and pepper it proved to be quite a satisfying side dish (and somewhat healthy cause you consume so much spinach in disguise!). I served it up with some grilled rum marintated pork and rice. Spinach is rich in iron and some other vitamins but not Vitamin D. I was at the drugstore the other day and would you believe they were sold out of all brands of vitamin D! Yes, the drear and rain of the Wet Coast has hit its climax. My tan has already faded. I think the sky sucked it off of me. The good news is that the cherry blossoms are out, albeit it two weeks late. I am just keeping my fingers crossed we at least get a day or two of sun when big sis, brother-in-law, and nephew come for a visit next week!!!! Can’t wait :-)

No comments: