Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kitchen Therapy

Who needs retail therapy when they love cooking? On Sunday I cooked up a storm and made three big batches of meals, but none of them involved any recipe testing for this blog. Shame on me. I did; however, make some yummy eats that we had for Sunday dinner and froze the rest for lunches.

First I tackled a family lasgagna recipe that husband's cousin gave me. One time when she house-sat for us, she put this wonderful lasagna in our freezer to enjoy on the return from our trip. Super thoughtful and super yummy! The recipe is very simple - lot's of cheese, great sauce, same ol' lasgana layers, but is is just great.

I then made Scentilentil Journey from the Looney Spoons cookbook. Red lentils are the key ingredient in this one. It is a healthy, filling, and very flavorful casserole-type meal. Even better it doesn't have any meat, but husband still eats it! As he says, 'it looks a little bit like baby puke, but tastes really good' (terrible - I know! my biggest critic) - a winner for lunches!

Finally, I made Ina Garten's (the Barefoot Contessa) Italian Wedding Soup. It takes a lot of prep because of the little meatballs, but they make the dish. I think the meatballs from that recipe could be eaten just on their own! Anyhow, the soup was superb.

Car tells me that she just made Hobo Bread from the family recipe treasure trove. Hobo bread is probably one of my most nostalgic recipes from childhood. A hearty, sweet bread with molasses and raisins taking the spotlight and to top it off, it's cooked in an old coffee can. Pretty cool! I don't have the recipe, so she is going to post it and then I am dying to try it out. Stay tuned...

No comments: