Sunday, April 12, 2009

Three empty coffee cans


So my quest to make HOBO Bread started about 1 1/2 months ago when I had to start to empty 3 one pound coffee cans in order to create the containers to make the loaf. This is one of those loaves that remind me of childhood- and is really nice plain and with butter too. I am sure that 30 years ago the coffee tins were more abundant than now. In fact, with all of the "cheap" coffee in plastic tins and the fancy coffee in vacuum sealed bags, it might actually become more challenging to make this recipe. As it was, I was just happy that Timmies comes in small cans - because I can do Timmies. The recipe - and it really is worth drinking all of the coffee.

Wash one pound of raisins. Let stand overnight in 2 cups of boiling water and 4 tsp of baking soda. In the morning add 2 cups of white sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 tbsp veggie oil, 2 eggs (beaten) and 4 cups of flour. It is a bit of a stiff dough. Line 3 one-pound coffee tins with parchment - bottom and sides (you must do this). Fill the tins with equal portions of dough (a little over half each) and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool in tins. Freezes well.

1 comment:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

YUM! I am going to try and make this in a regular loaf pan...will see how it goes!