Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Eats

Sounds like both of us cooked it up on the weekend! We hosted a few friends for Easter dinner on Sunday night. I even colored some Easter eggs for decoration, which I haven't done in YEARS. The menu: goats cheese and walnut salad to start, ham, cauliflower served with cheese sauce, and vegetable fricassee. Guests brought along dessert to help round off the meal and make my life easier.

My first quest was to do something different with ham as opposed to honey mustard/clove snore variation. That is where I found BAKED HAM WITH MUSTARD-RED CURRANT GLAZE AND RHUBARB CHUTNEY from an old issue of Bon Appetit (available on Epicurious.com). One challenge that did not even occur to me was finding fresh rhubarb. Yes, I thought rhubarb would be readily available at this time of year but alas it hadn’t hit the stores yet. After trying a few different stores, I finally found both fresh (organic) and frozen (!!!!) rhubarb at my local Choices market although I did use my first born to purchase it. I have a love/hate relationship with Choices. Sometimes that place drives me nutbar, but when it delivers, it sure wins me back.

My second quest was doing a different vegetable dish so I tried the Vegetable Fricassee (from a recent Bon Appetit). It was very good but a tad rich since it is really is only veggies cooked in whipping cream (insert fat gags here). I had to 1.5 times the recipe to feed six and think baking it in a shallower dish would have been better. Must say though that the flavours were super unique (maybe because of the saffron?) and great use of spring veggies. The ham was a big hit as well as mum’s good ol’ Cheesey Cauliflower (hint: the recipe is mum’s mac n’ cheese sauce served on steamed cauliflower). For a change I used orange cauliflower which was a nice color on the plate. No pictures, though! Good eats, good company.

No comments: