Thursday, December 14, 2006

Can openers at the ready...

The evening started a bit late. I neglected to notice that the recipe called for me to simmer the concoction for 1.5 hours. Hence, chopping onions at 9:30pm made me cry - and not just because of onion tears. But true to yesterday's commitment, I proceeded to cook. Developed carpal tunnel from opening all of the cans and managed to finish my XMAS cards while the pot bubbled away. The ghoulash was like I remembered, homey and comforting. Might have been missing something. Almost think it could be salt but I am concerned about adding that because of all of the canned goods already within (and salt-laden, I am sure). Maybe garlic?

I also looked up Goulash on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goulash. And we definitely did NOT make goulash in the truest sense of the word. I actually think we made Chili for sissies - and maybe that is the better name for the recipe.

I have been in a ground beef purgatory (or maybe a vegetarian's nightmare) in the last little while as I now have both chili and goulash in my fridge. Therefore, I am recommending a vegetarian option- Cauliflower soup - for this weekend's recipe. It is my mother-in-law's recipe and it is great. Jason even loves it and he says that cauliflower is the poor man's broccoli.

3 comments:

Carlyn Volume-Smith said...

how many different ways can i spell goulash?

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Mum corrected me on the phone the other day: it is goulash (and not ghoulash - as in scary!)

Sandy Volume Haney said...

BTW - Hubby and I gave it a big thumbs down on the reheat. He think its because we've had too many "mixed" dishes (ie: one dish meals like casseroles, stir-frys, etc.). Oh well, tis the season of lack of time!