Saturday, December 2, 2006

Lazy but not blue

So today I tasked myself with completing recipes #7 and 8 - Sugar Top Blueberry Muffins and Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls. I leave for Ottawa tomrrow (am there till Wednesday) so I did have to get through them today. Fortunately, I was able to cook away and keep tabs on the Liberal party leader convention which made for some riveting (or not so riveting, depending on what you like) TV news.

The blueberry muffins are very tasty and I tackled those first thing this morning. Pat was at his classes so I had a quiet house and [finally] a sunny day to help brighten things up for my day at home. My muffins turned out quite dense and I found the batter very very thick to work with, so I am not sure if I screwed up or that's how they are supposed to be! Car did give me the recipe over the phone (she another computer meltdown) and I chicken scratched it over an old bill and realize I could have written it better so maybe I missed something...? I have some great pictures, but right now blogger doesn't have the feature available for me to post them up so hopefully that is just a glitch for today and not a feature that has disappeared entirely (or something we have done to the site!). The lazy cabbage rolls are very comfort food for me.
Fortunately (as opposed to Car), I did 3/4 parts regular cabbage with the remainder using sauerkraut, so avoided the super tart. I also used two full cans of condensed tomato soup and next time would only opt for 1.5 (give or take) since it was a bit saucey. I did have ground beef and browned that first and mixed in with the rice, although some good Ukrainian sausage would be a very decent substitute. Also, a dallop of sour cream on the side is the perfect finish.

I will have to give some thought as to what I can pick for next week...will hopefully post that up on my return (along with some pictures!!!)

No comments: