Thursday, December 7, 2006

Eats in Ottawa

Well, it is December 7. I was away only for a few days but I feel like I lost a whole week. I had a great trip out east to Ottawa. It was bitching cold there but biting wind aside, I had a good time touring the city when not conferencing. I had the most amazing italian at Mamma Teresa's. So, so good. I had their Spaghetti alla Mamma Teresa, which was a tomato-cream sauce with ground meat, onions, and mushrooms. Sounds simple, but damn it was good. Must be a real "go to" place as on a Sunday night, the old house was full to the hilt.

I had a chance to tour the grand Parliament grounds of our capital. Though I was told tours run all day, I arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed Wednesday afternoon (just before I flew home) to find out they don't tour in the afternoon. Fortunately, a friendly man from Saskatoon was visiting an old colleague that works in the Senate so I got a sneak peak in and saw their library and some behind the scenes areas. So nice of them! I finished that, asked around, and found out I was able to sit in on Question Period. The place was a full house and it was very cool to see it in action. Way more riveting than clips you see on the news or on CPAC. The Liberals are such hecklers!!! Anyhow, I digress. Met a very funny lady on the flight home who shares my distaste for flying (but I did have lovely flights both ways). She said she looked at me and knew I wasn't the woman she was going to die with. I think her fear is at a bit more of an extreme than mine, but her comment was definitely an ice breaker. Oh, I almost forgot another gastronomical delight on this trip: the Black Tomato. My colleague recommended we go there for dinner. I had their asian bbq pork tenderloin with buckwheat noodles. Sweet, juicy pork layered on a bed of black-bean sauced noodles. Very good.

Carlyn, where are you? Car has been quiet this week and I am wondering if her computer at home is up and running. She definitely needs that laptop! So, I am debating about what we can cook-up this weekend. I am thinking Baking Powder Biscuits and Goulash. Fortunately, our seasonal events are limited this weekend but next weekend is a bit of overkill. My next task is to get those recipes (and decorate, shop, and do cards). Till we cook again...

1 comment:

Carlyn Volume-Smith said...

Ghoulash and biscuits - you got it baby. Excellent weekend fare and great for lunches too.