Monday, December 18, 2006

Poor man's broccoli prevails

Recipe #10 is a winner! I would have to say Cauliflower Soup is the first of the recipes that has been very straightforward with not much room for improvisation(s) or error (which for me this weekend was a good thing!). The December rush is melting my brain and Sunday was the peak. I had a lovely weekend and even finished all my Christmas cards (yes, some will be late) and shopping, but definitely need the upcoming holiday break. Sunday evening rolled around and we were both ready for a cosy, small dinner [See picture of cat. It was one of those nights]. I really loved this soup. I am a caulifower nut and one of my fave veggies on a veggie tray is cauliflower (with a good ranch dip, of course!). Husband said he felt it was blandish, but a little bit of salt and pepper corrected it. I didn't change a thing. I think the one thing you could do is blend the ingredients to make the soup more smooth. I just mashed as per the recipe.

Tomorrow night we have our last holiday shin dig before we head out of town and will be having a couple and their kids over for dinner. The menu: a romaine/spinach salad with poms and orange slices served with pecan crusted goats cheese and a sweet and sour vinagrette, rosemary scented roast lab (with cranberry mustard rub), polenta with sharp white cheddar, beets, and carrots. For dessert I have made cranberry tarts and will serve with whipping cream. I was able to prep a lot of it tonight, so that takes a load off. We are looking forward to leaving for Edmonton this Friday for the holiday break. Can't wait to see everyone and share in some GREAT eats.

No comments: