Sunday, December 10, 2006

Canned extravanganza

My day started out with not too much to do, but I ventured out shopping only to find myself getting home about five hours later. I realize I really don't like shopping...at all. I suppose that feeling is mostly only when I HAVE to shop. Today's mission was Christmas gifts and this city was a zoo, but with decent sales and a dash of patience on my part, I survived.

When I came home it was time to start in on tonight's dishes. I started with the Goulash (recipe #9). This was a recipe that a childhood playmate of mine's Nana used to make. I loved it so much that Mum put in a special request to her Nana for the recipe. Her Nana also made really good carmel corn. It's amazing what food you can remember from your childhood. Like I still remember the first time I had onion rings. I was 4 and my friend, Tracy, along with her Mom took me to Dairy Queen and they ordered them for me. I have loved them ever since. Still love them even more with a pint of Strong Bow and a side of sour cream (on heavy hitting days) or a side of ketchup, but straight up with salt is good, too. I am still waffly on A&W onion rings and prefer good ol' pub style beer battered kind.

I went on Wikipedia to discover what Goulash really is, and now have confirmed that this version we have is a major modification. This was definitely an easy dish to prepare and likened to Jean Pare's (Company's Coming) recipes of waaay back: a can of this, can of that, a can of something else and then oh yes, some noodles. This one was "let's try broken up spaghetti" and skip the spetzle. This recipe is a canned extravanganza! And easy! If you were strapped for time and looking for minimal effort with decent payback then "ta daa." I think in terms of spices it was missing something...maybe paprika and garlic powder? So, it may be blastphemy that this recipe is even called Goulash, but let's go with that for now.

I started in on the Baking Powder Biscuits (recipe #10) as I was browning the beef for the Goulash. I flubbed up on the recipe. I got all the ingredients right but I didn't add all the milk at once and did it bit by bit instead...as a result of not reading but doing what seemed logical. So my dough was little tough. I have to admit, as much as I love to be in the kitchen, baking is not my forte (except for my amazing banana bread and cookies). I feel there is a strong difference between cooking and baking. I am not even a big dessert person so maybe that's why--because I haven't nearly put in the effort. I can exert my baking bravado when required but think that this is a skill that over time if I do it, can work its way into my kitchen repertoire. Anyhow, had a taste of a fresh, hot out of the oven biscuit with butter and my husband's Nana's crab apple jelly and WOW. Those just hit the spot. Fresh outta the oven does that.

4 comments:

Carlyn Volume-Smith said...

Ditto Jean Pare - that is exactly what I was going to say about this recipe! No offense, but I find that a lot of her recipes entail just a series of opening cans and mixing at intermittent periods.

Too funny - long live Jean Pare!

Anonymous said...

Hi ladies- Love your blog!! And... so you know I'm always available as a taste tester! :-) (I could unselfishly give up a few evenings to this cause!!) Tee hee...
Smiles- Katie

Sandy Volume Haney said...

*blush* I didn't even know people we knew were reading this blog, Katie! Glad to hear you enjoy it...

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Yes re: Jean Pare. I love her cookbooks, but some of the good ol' favorites are from a certain canned good era (which does come in handy sometimes!!!)