Monday, November 13, 2006

Flapcakes

Survived Recipe Test #3...I made the amount as per recipe in two varieties and came out with a dozen (but I did more 2 tbsp batter than just 1 tbsp). I think the recipe would serve 4 sides (not mains). These are very filling, not like Blender Pancakes, cause they are more "cakey." The batter could be thinned out just a bit if you prefer. I used the Cuisinart Griddler with a tad fewer "cold spots" than Car, but did notice one cool spot on the lower section. I did keep the heat between 350 and 400 and preheated for a long time. I instigated the pancake variety with a trick I saw at a great breakfast joint in Sausalito (thanks to Rhonda and Chris) that once the batter is poured, THEN you stick in your fruit. It avoids clumping and encourages eveness/variety in the 'jacks. So, I made blueberry ones and pineapple: blueberries from frozen pckg and the pineapple from canned. Worked out very well. Maple syrup + pineapple = deadly combination, and of course, the double whammy of blueberry cakes + Summerland Sweets Blueberry Syrup is a delight (a bit of sugar shock, but nothing that salty bacon or potatoes as sides couldn't offset). Banana slices would also be so good. We ate three hours ago and still very full and I only had three (two to start...).

No comments: