Monday, November 13, 2006

Nonplussed by the Stroganoff

What did I do wrong?

The first right thing I did was decide to cook stroganoff on a snowy Alberta day. A cold snowy day is just perfect to eat something homey and "stick to your ribs" like that. And I did not feel that bad about sauteing sirloin in butter and then adding more butter becuase, heck, I shoveled the driveway 3 times!

First, the squash - Sandy, you are right - it is just like it was when we were kids despite the fact that Hubbard squash is nowhere to be found. But I loved it loved it. And, surprise, surprise -Jason loved it too. I got to thinking that it was a recipe that was really old fashioned and wondered how it could be "twisted" to be more modern - after some pondering, I think that I have come up with something.

Now for the stroganoff. It didn't rock my world and I am not sure why. In fact, a certain despondency settled upon my mood after I ate it (as pointed out by Jason). It was good - certainly better than the gummy (yet watery) shepherd's pie that I had at a trendy Edmonton bistro last week- but not great. Given that this is truly a classic recipe and we are fortunate to have it passed to us - I think something must have gone awry in my execution. I also think that there might be something to be said for not using the RTU (that is "ready-to-use") beef broth as maybe the salt in the old fashioned canned concentrated stuff adds something to the dish.

[side note: I think that RTU will be my Rachel Ray-ism. The EVOO thing just drives me batty but look where it got her......]

2 comments:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

OMG (oh my god) - I can't believe you didn't like it!!! Ours worked out perfectly and was super tasty so yes, it may be the broth. Also, sirloin is the way to go so don't use tenderloin or other cuts. Pat also liked the Cheesey Squash! (and he doesn't like squash EVER)

J-Unit said...

This blog needs more pictures.