Saturday, November 18, 2006

Lac Brome

I did my grocery shopping tonight for tomorrow's dinner, AKA recipe test #4 and 5. The Roast Duck with Stuffing recipe is from Carlyn's in-laws and Creamed Corn is Mum's. Both recipes are the vague "a bit of this, a bit of that." I did go adventurous on the mushrooms in the stuffing recipe, as there was no specification on kind/quantity called for, so I bought shitaki and brown. And then there is the rice for the stuffing...Carlyn suggested a mix of brown/white/wild instead of just white. There's a juggle with cooking all those well at the same time. Every other mixed "package" kind has seasonings or flavourings; however, I did find a nifty product by Canoe brand called "White'n Wild Rice" which contains unseasoned parboiled white and roasted wild in the package (a Canadian product from Keewatin, Ontario -- ironically right by Lake of the Woods where we have a family cottage). So that takes care of the rice! For the most part, Safeway handled my typical ingredients, but I did need to trek to Urban Fare for the duck (Carlyn did give me a hint on where to find that one). I found a duck from Lac Brome, Quebec (or Brome Lake in English) in the frozen section. There were only two available, so I think you would have to be prepared for a bigger hunt in case, say, a dozen or so people in your neighbourhood are cooking duck that night. Or in Carlyn's case, go to your in-laws freezer for freshly frozen, made-in-Alberta hunted duck. I wonder if that is what she is using???

No comments: