Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Griddler is like Bar-B-Que and other similarities

This morning I stumbled out of bed and made an attempt at making the flapjacks that I remember from childhood. Based on my discussions with Sandy the other night, I was relegated to making the double batch that will reportedly serve about 6 people while she would try the single size recipe that serves 2-3. Let me just say that it might have been a good call on her part to do that and I am now saddled with about 2 breakfast's worth of extra pancakes - but more on that later. With my hubby still sleeping and 2-year old (Nathan) in tow, I began working on recipe #1.

It actually went quite smoothly - mix the dry ingredients separately from the wet, stir until just moistened, etc. Nathan provided a running commentary. I was amazing because I could break eggs and he was exceedingly disappointed that I could not break yet another egg into the recipe as it only called for 2. This brings us to similarity #1. Eggs, milk and melted butter in a bowl- in the eyes of a 2-year old - look like orange juice. Luckily, I chose to turn my back only for a minute, because had it been longer, his little face would have disappeared into the bowl.

The first half of the batch was just plain old flapjack, nothing special but still really good and the second part of the batch had some frozen, home grown, blueberries thrown in just for good measure. This is where we come to similiarity #2 - a Cuisinart Griddler is just like a bar-b-que - there are cold spots! Here I am cooking away and 2/3 of my pancakes are still not bubbling and are looking a bit sickly pale - like a Canadian's legs in January. Hmmm. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my griddler. In fact, I brag about it to everyone who does not have one as it makes wicked sandwiches and paninis and grills meat like no one's business. But this is the first time that a shortcoming has reared its ugly head in my kitchen.

Nonetheless, I forge on and the first 100 pancakes are almost complete, Nathan is busy eating and my husband (who is complaining of jetlag a full week and a half after returning from his trip to Japan) is still sleeping. As I stand by myself in the kitchen waiting for the tiny bubbles to form in the batter so I can commence flipping, I trip over similarity #3 - the pancake cooker (or waffle maker, as the case may be)- is essentially the kitchen slave because she (invariably) is trapped in the kitchen flipping and pouring until everyone else is full and she (invariably) can come out and enjoy the remnants (which, because a double-batch had been made, were plentiful).

All in all - the flajacks were good, but I have some thoughts. If this recipe is in the cookbook, we should probably re-make it and do an actual pancake count - I'm sure I made a 100 but it might have only been 25. And, yes, we should take a picture and post it so that we can compare product. It is too late for the flapjacks because, though sumptiously good at 10 am, are just a tad soggy now. :)

1 comment:

Sandy Volume Haney said...

Did you preheat your Griddler? ;-)
I am making Flapjacks tomorrow morning and will do one set plain, one with bluberries, and then pineapple. We just got back from Pender Harbour and I saw my second Noah's Arc float by this year. We also hit Costco (the first "urban" one) and it scares me that it is 10 min away (15 min. by foot!).